Wednesday 26 October 2011

The Three Horseshoes & River Colne

Our local pub is currently undergoing a makeover. It has had a new lick of paint to convert it from pink to white and driving past on Monday I noticed the name of the pub has been painted onto the walls. The previous signage consisted of bulky gold lettering stuck to the walls. This hand painted serif typeface is much more welcoming and traditional.
I spoke to one of the refurbishers and he told me that the name had been stencilled with carbon paper and hand painted. I imagine this took a while, but I am glad to have something down my road that has a properly considered identity to it.
My only issue with this design is that I hope the upside down horseshoes do not spell bad luck for the pub's new owners. The upside down horseshoes create a smoother line than the jagged peaks of upright ones would, although I hope this does not bring them misfortune. Perhaps they are challenging superstition. Perhaps they were challenged by design.
This is the scene of the River Colne just 5 minutes by foot from my front door. Whatever time of the year it is, the sun picks up on the season's colours.
The water is shallow, still and crystal clear at this part of the bank. However, you can watch the current gently carry fallen leaves and twigs along on their journey from the comfort of a nearby bench. It is the most relaxing thing I can think of to do and that's why it has to be one of my favourite places.

No comments:

Post a Comment