Friday 4 March 2011

Stripes and Stars

I photocopied this series of images from an illustration book yesterday and just now I looked at it and followed the meaning through and it shocked me by how powerful it is.

We see the twin towers being destroyed and turned into billowing red smoke which forms the stripes on a waving American flag. The president's pin badge is an American flag. One of the stars becomes a rocket which drops a bomb. The blood shed from this bomb becomes the stripes for the flag. The flag is seen on a bumper sticker of a vehicle with the slogan "These colours* don't run". The exhaust fumes from the vehicle clear to reveal a desperate man clutching a dead child to his chest. In his eyes we see 2 red lines; the twin towers...

*colors, but I like my 'U's

No comments:

Post a Comment